Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Wassup ladies and gentlemen. This is the first blog since fall break ended. I have plenty of ideas for blogs for the rest of the semester and I hope you enjoy this blog. Since fall break ended, I have had lots of new adventures with nature. I had a lot of tests before the break so since I had free time I took the initiative to learn about insects. Insects belong in the phylum Arthropoda, which basically means arthropods. Arthropods are invertebrate animals that have segmented bodies, exoskeletons and jointed appendages. Over the break, I did what I mentioned in the last blog and I did some exploration around Lexington's community. At first I started off my exploration of Lexington at Transy. I went to flowers beds, trees, and practically any area that may occupy insects. I tried to see what type of insects live where and what roles they perform in their habitat. It was fairly easy task but it required a lot of patient study. I stared at a tree for twenty minutes watching ants and squirrels go about their lives. The ants interested me more because they are insects but, more importantly, because they are strong. Ants are capable of carrying fifty times their body weight. This is possibly equivalent to Superman. When you think of it ants carry objects like scrapes of leaves so the ants must relatively weight nothing. Next, ants belong to a colony and squirrels live independently. The ants all worked together to perform a job which made me think of relationships. If humans could corporate and work together like the ants who knows if problems would exist. At times, I argue with people over the dumbest things and I cannot seem to corporate well with others to complete simple tasks. The ants all worked in unity and coherence and it amazed me how they could work together so easily. Lastly, the ants never stopped working. It was virtually impossible to follow the same ant over so it was difficult to measure if it was tired, but the ants never stopped working. If humans had their endurance and strength then humans would literally be close to being superman. This made me think about the biology of ants and how their designed to do so much. Finally, it had me thinking like an evil scientist. I made me want to study the genes of ants to see what it actually is that makes them what they are and incorporate that into humans.


No comments:

Post a Comment