Tuesday, September 30, 2014

How is it going ladies and gentlemen? This is the third blog of the semester and I hope you are enjoying them because I enjoy keeping my fans updated on class. Biology and Human Concerns is going well and I am learning a lot. The latest thing I have learned was identifying trees. To begin, you start off with a dichotomous key, which is a key that asks broad questions about a subject until it narrows down to a simple answer. For instance. the first question you may ask when identifying a tree is whether or not it is a conifer or deciduous. After you answer that, you may ask if it is a simple or compound leaf and then whether it has alternate or opposite leaf arrangements. These are some of the steps that you may take when identifying a tree. but it may get much more complicated then that. Some trees have fruits or nuts, which makes those trees harder to identify. Another thing that makes tree identification difficult is the season of the year. The season will change the color of the leaves and this may confuse amateur tree identifiers. Since I just learned how to identify I do not have experience identifying tree throughout the year. I can identify most of the trees around Transy's campus without hesitation but when the winter comes around I may have difficulty. Well, I hope you guys enjoyed this blog.

1 comment: